Cornerstone has adopted a management policy on attendance that aims to communicate with parents, teachers and students on how we manage our duty of care responsibilities. This policy is useful to understand how the college views absences and lateness issues and how parents can plan for extended times away from the college.
Feel free to download a copy of the policy or view it by clicking the link.
Reasons for Student Absences
It is the caregiver’s responsibility to ensure that their children are enrolled in and attending school every day, unless there are acceptable reasons for absence. Caregivers are asked to notify the college of any absence before 8:45am on the day of absence.
Acceptable Reasons for Student Absence
- Danger of being affected by, or inflicting, an infectious or contagious disease
- Temporary, or permanent, infirmity
- Unavoidable and sufficient cause, eg.
- Bereavement within the family or of a close friend
- Family trauma
- Attending a school organised activity, eg. Excursion, camp, work experience or cultural event
Unacceptable Reasons for Student Absence
- Shopping expeditions with, or without, caregiver
- Personal grooming, eg haircuts, massages etc
- Helping at home or at caregiver’s place of work
- Part-time or casual work (including travel to and from such work)
- Appointments which could be made out of school hours eg, driving lessons or tests
- Excessive time for appointments which are avoidable